Challan 280 is a mandatory requirement for paying income tax. The tax payment mode may be the Advance tax, Self-Assessment Tax, Tax on Regular Assessment, Surtax, Tax on Distributed Profit or Tax on Distributed Income. Payment of income tax can be made through the online method as well as offline method, however, in both the methods a taxpayer should use Challan No/ITNS 280 to make the payment of the income tax.
A taxpayer can make his/her tax payment through online using Challan 280.
Step1: Go to e-Payment options on Income Tax Department website.
Step2: Select Challan No./ITNS 280 for the payment of Income and Corporation tax.
Step3: Fill the required credentials in the field.
1) Tax applicable – There are two options in the Challan 280 for the taxpayer, namely, (0020) Corporation tax and (0021) Income tax. If the tax is levied on a company then the taxpayer should choose (0020) Corporation tax; and if the tax is levied other than company such as LLP, Partnership firms, individuals, etc. then choose (0021) Income tax.
2) PAN number – It is important to furnish the PAN number in Challan 280 carefully to avoid tax deposit in someone else’s name. The name of the taxpayer will be fetched automatically from the name of the PAN number. However, you can see the name of the taxpayer on the confirmation screen after clicking Submit.
3) Assessment year – The assessment is normally the next year of the financial year. Choose the assessment year carefully as the displaying of the option to pay for previous years depends on the year you choose.
4) Type of payment – The taxpayer should choose the payment mode depending on the financial year he/she choose. For example – if you are paying the tax for the same financial year based on the estimated income then you should choose Advance tax, whereas if you are paying the tax after the end of the financial year you should choose Self-Assessment year.
5) Bank Name – The taxpayer should select the name of the bank from where he/she intends to make the online payment.
6) Amount of tax – The amount of tax will be mentioned on the bank website and not on the Challan 280.
Step4: Once you furnish the credentials click the Proceed button given at the bottom left corner of the page.
Step5: Step 4 will lead to the confirmation page, where the taxpayer’s details will be displayed.
Step6: If the details on the confirmation page are correct then click Submit to the Bank button. Or else, Edit button and this will lead you to the first page to edit the details.
Step6: Login to your bank account as after submitting to the bank the banker will automatically ask you to login to your bank account.
Step7: Choose the tax amount you would like to pay. For instance – education cess and surcharge levied on the same, interest and penalty (if any).
Step8: Press Calculate Tax button. It will show the total amount of tax to be paid including education cess and surcharge, interest and penalty.
Step9: Make the payment online. You will see a challan counterfoil on your screen with Challan Identification Number (CIN) instantly. You can print or save this payment challan.
Note: The taxpayer should keep a copy of the payment challan as the CIN will be quoted in the income tax return.
The taxpayer can also make his tax payment using offline mode. For this method, the taxpayer needs to download Challan 280 from the IT website. Fill the credentials, such as your PAN number, assessment year, registered address, mobile number, e-mail id, etc.
Important instructions you should keep in mind while filling the form manually: