A taxpayer can make his/her tax payment using Challan 280 online.
Step1: Go to e-Payment options of Income Tax Department website.
Step2: Select Challan No./ITNS 280 for the payment of Income and Corporation tax.
Step3: Fill the required credentials in the field.
1) Tax applicable – There are two options in the Challan 280 for the taxpayer, namely, (0020) Corporation tax and (0021) Income tax. If the tax is levied on a company then the taxpayer should choose (0020) Corporation tax; and if the tax levied is income tax other than companies such as LLP, Partnership firms, individuals, etc. then the tax payer must choose (0021) Income tax.
2) PAN number – It is important to furnish the PAN number in Challan 280 carefully, to avoid tax deposit under someone else’s name. The name of the taxpayer will be traced automatically from the name on the PAN number. However, you can see the name of the taxpayer on the confirmation screen after clicking Submit.
3) Assessment year – The assessment is normally the next year of the financial year. Choose the assessment year carefully as the option to pay for previous years depends on the year you choose.
4) Type of payment – The tax payer should choose the payment mode depending on the financial year he/she chooses. For example – if you are paying the tax for the same financial year based on the estimated income then you should choose Advance tax, whereas if you are paying tax after the end of the financial year you must choose Self-Assessment year.
5) Bank Name – The tax payer should select the name of the bank from where he/she intends to make the online payment via net banking.
6) Amount of tax – The amount of tax will be mentioned on the bank website and not on the Challan 280.
Step4: Once you furnish the credentials click the Proceed button given at the bottom left corner of the page.
Step5: Step 4 will lead to the confirmation page, where the taxpayer’s details will be displayed.
Step6: If the details on the confirmation page are correct then click Submit to the Bank button. Or else, edit button and this will lead you to the first page to edit the details.
Step7: Login to your bank account as after submitting to the bank the banker will automatically ask you to login to your bank account.
Step8: Choose the tax amount you would like to pay. For instance – education cess and surcharge levied on the same, interest and penalty (if any).
Step9: Press Calculate Tax button. It will show the total amount of tax to be paid including education cess and surcharges, interest and penalty.
Step10: Make the payment online. You will see a challan counterfoil on your screen with Challan Identification Number (CIN) instantly. You can print or save this payment challan.
Note: The taxpayer should keep a copy of the payment challan as the CIN will be quoted in the income tax return.
The taxpayer can also make his/her tax payment using offline mode. For this method, the taxpayer needs to download Challan 280 from the official IT website. Fill the credentials, such as your PAN number, assessment year, registered address, mobile number, e-mail id, etc.
Important instructions you should keep in mind while filling the form manually
Following are the details that you need to fill in Challan 281:
A tax payment form used to pay Securities Transaction tax, Hotel receipts tax, Estate duty, Interest tax (on bank FDs, Savings accounts etc.), wealth tax, gift tax and any other such direct tax.
This is used to pay TDS on Sale of Property by the seller of the property. Such tax can be paid online at the tin nsdl website using internet banking.
You must note down the Challan Identification Number (CIN) after every tax payment because this would need to be quoted when you file your income tax return.
After 5 days have elapsed on paying this amount you can download a certificate of tax for the buyer called Form 16B from the TRACES portal.
You don’t have to be a math genius to do your taxes! You can easily hire a tax expert. We, at AllindiaITR guarantee you the best rates in the market for highly professional financial services. Our online platform is owned and operated by Corwhite Solutions Private Limited.
People Also Searched For
Silicon India Finance: Tax enabling firm, All India ITR has launched a unique mobile app that promises completion of e-filing of income tax returns in under 2 minutes. With help from a team of experts available just a call away, you cannot fail to meet compliance deadlines in 2017.
14th June 2017