The process of filing for Income Tax Returns is becoming easier and quicker through e-filing procedure with many taxpayers opting for it.
ITR-V is referred to the Income Tax Return Verification Form which is a single page document. A taxpayer receives ITR-V during filing of Income Tax Return online. ITR-V Form is filled and then sent to Income Tax Department who will verify the authenticity of the application.
ITR-V can also be defined as an acceptance slip generated after filing for Income Tax Return online. As per the Income Tax Act of 1961, for claiming Income Tax Returns, ITR-V must be signed and sent to the Department of Income Tax, Central Processing Centre, Bangalore via ordinary post or speed post. When the ITR-V form gets generated then the taxpayer should download the form and open it. The password required for opening Form ITR-V is a combination of the taxpayer’s Permanent Account Number and his/her Date of Birth.
Electronic Verification Code for Verifying E-Returns
The Central Board of Direct Taxes in India recently announced that every taxpayer filing for Income Tax Return online will no longer be required to send the ITR-V Form to CPC Bangalore if the taxpayer has Aadhar Card. The taxpayer’s Aadhar Card can now be used for the verification procedure. As an alternative of manual verification, a new form of verification known as Electronic Verification Code has been launched for verifying the e-returns.
- The taxpayer must mention his/her Aadhar Card number on the Income Tax Returns Form.
- After mentioning the Aadhar Card number, the taxpayer will receive an OTP number on their registered mobile number.
- Finally, the taxpayer must enter the OTP for verification.
The procedure to follow while filling ITR-V Form via CPC, Bangalore
- The ITR-V should be printed clearly using dark blank ink and contain the original signature of the applicant, signed in blue coloured ink.
- The signature should not be marked on the bar code of the Form.
- The bar code and the numbers below it should be clearly visible.
- Do not staple Form ITR-V or fold it.
- Form ITR-V should be enclosed in an A-4 sized, white coloured envelope.
- The envelope containing the ITR-V Form must be mailed to Income Tax Department CPC Post Box No.1, Electronic City Post Office, Bangalore-560100, Karnataka, via speed post or ordinary post within 120 days from the date of post.
- The ITR-V Form should not be posted by courier.
- There will be no requirement for any supporting documents except for the signed ITR-V.
- Upon receiving the form, CPC Bangalore will dispatch an email, acknowledging that the form has been received.
- Finally, the acknowledgment e-mail from CPC must be forwarded to the email ID mentioned in the ITR.
If a taxpayer does not submit the ITR-V within 120 days, then the e-filing will be considered as invalid and the taxpayer will have to file a revised return, fill a new ITR-V then submit it within 120 days.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. How many days does it take to receive an acknowledgment from CPC Bangalore that ITR-V has been received?
On normal days, the receipt arrives within 3 weeks from the day the ITR-V Form was posted, on the registered email ID of the applicant.
Q. What can one do if he/she does not receive the acknowledgment receipt in 3 weeks?
If a taxpayer does not receive the acknowledgment receipt in 3 weeks then he/she can download the acknowledgment receipt from the official website of the Income Tax Department by logging into his/her account. The receipt will be available under ‘E-filing Processing Status' on 'My Account' tab.
Q. State the difference between ITR-1 and ITR-V
ITR-1 Form, also referred to as Sahaj is a type of Income Tax Return Form which is applicable only for salaried individuals. The salaried individual is required to furnish ITR-1 Form while drawing his/her salary income, interest or pension fund.
The ITR-V or Income Tax Return–Verification Form, on the other hand, is supposed to be furnished to state that the details in the form filed by the taxpayer are verified.
Q. Should Form 16 be consigned alongside ITR-V Form?
No, there will be no requirement to send any supporting documents alongside ITR-V Form.
Q. Can one utilize registered post or courier services to send ITR-V to Central Processing Centre Bangalore?
No, a taxpayer is supposed to send the ITR-V Form only through ordinary or speed post services.
Q. Can two different taxpayers attest two different ITR-V Forms in a single envelope?
Yes, a single envelope can contain more than one ITR-Vs addressed to Central Processing Centre (CPC), Bangalore. However, one needs to make sure that the barcode is clearly printed and not tampered. Also, the two separate ITR-V Forms must never be stapled together.
Q. What are the documents required alongside ITR-1 Form?
Along with ITR-1 Form the following supporting documents must be submitted:
- A copy of PAN Card of the applicant.
- For salaried individuals, Form 16 is required.
- Form 16A is required for non-salaried individuals.
- Bank statement or bank passbook.
- Form 26AS.
- Proof of investments along with relevant receipts.
Q. What is the completion procedure for ITR-V?
When a taxpayer has filed for Income Tax Return electronically without using a digital signature then the taxpayer will receive the ITR-V Form from the Income Tax Department. Then the Form needs to be signed and send to Central Processing Centre Bangalore.
Q. What will happen if a taxpayer fails to sign the ITR-V Form and fails to send it within the due date?
If the taxpayer fails to meet the due dateline then the tax filing will be considered invalid and the taxpayer needs to refile for tax returns.
Q. How can one obtain Form ITR-V?
If a taxpayer has filed for Income Tax Returns online, he/she can easily download the ITR-V Form from the official Income Tax Department website.
- Visit the official Income Tax Department website.
- Login with the registered credentials
- Go to the Account section and choose the assessment period
- Download the ITR-V Form, and get it printed on an A4 sized paper in black coloured ink only.
Q. What is the procedure to change one’s email address in ITR-V Form?
To change the email address, a taxpayer can login to his/her account, go to settings option, click on change, enter the new e-mail address and click on submit.
Q. What is the final date for sending the ITR-V?
As per the Income Tax Department, a taxpayer should send the ITR-V within 120 days from the date when the ITR was filed.
Q. Are there any other ways to verify for Income Tax Returns without having to send the physical copy to Central Processing Center Bangalore?
Yes, apart from the physical posting of ITR-V Form one can choose to avail verification through Electronic Verification Code (EVC) or Aadhar Card Verification. For this one must link his/her Aadhar Card with the Personal Identification Number to validate the e-verification.
Q. Can one perform online verification of ITR-V for any other year apart from the immediately preceding year?
The Income Tax Department did not permit Income Tax Income Verification of any other assessment years other than the one applicable to the current fiscal earlier. However, in a recent proposition, the Income Tax Department has stated that verifications of ITR-Vs from 2009-10 to 2014-15 can be done via EVC, creating convenience for the taxpayer.