How to Register and login to the official Income tax department portal
You can choose to log in and register at the tax authority website or use AllindiaITR’s portal to e-file your income tax returns online.
Prepare Early for next ITR filing
- E-file your ITR in a few simple steps
- Expert Assistance over Chat and Email
- Here the expert Plans for Quick Tax e-filing
To register for an account follows these steps:
1. Go to the official website of Income Tax Department and begin the account registration process. Click on the "Register yourself" button and this will open the account registration page.
2. Select the User Type from the list and click "Continue".
3. Now enter all the “Basic Details” and click "Continue".
4. Complete the Registration form and click “Submit”.
If the validation is successful, then you will get a “Registration successful” message.
5. Then you will receive a confirmation e-mail with an activation link. Just click on the link to activate your account. Or,
6. An SMS with OTP (One time Password) will be sent to your provided mobile number. Enter the OTP to activate the link.
Now, if you want to log in to your account follow the below steps –
1. Go back to the login page of Income Tax Department and try to log into your account by entering the credentials.
2. Once you have logged in, you can access your dashboard for all the options available to help you with Income Tax Return Filing, ITR-V Acknowledgment status or Refund status.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What does Income Return mean?
An Income Return is a specified form containing details of income earned by a taxpayer in a financial year and the taxes paid upon the income to the Income Tax Department. There are different Income tax return forms
, a selection of which are filed depending upon the status and nature of the claims.
Q. From where can one obtain Income an Tax Return form?
The Income Tax Return forms can be downloaded from the official website of the Income Tax Department of India. To learn more click here
. You can also try this page
if you have a Form 16.
Q. What are the different ways of filing Income Tax Returns?
Income Tax Return can be filed in any of the following ways:
- By furnishing the returns in a hardcopy of the form.
- By furnishing the returns electronically, using a Digital Signature.
- By transferring the data electronically via an Electronic Verification Code.
- By filing for returns electronically and then submitting the verification of the return in Income Tax Returns Form ITR-V.
Q. What are the other documents required while filing Income Tax Returns?
While filing for Income Tax Returns no other documents are required. But verification documents will be required during assessments and inquiry which is why it is advisable that a taxpayer must maintain these documents and be able to produce them when required.
If you have paid taxes on your own you may be asked to confirm this with the Challan Identification Number (CIN). This is the number you receive from a designated bank when you pay your taxes either offline or online at the tin nsdl portal.